[Box Backup] Failed to setup location

E.W. Peter Jalajas boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 25 Jul 2007 18:12:37 -0700 (PDT)

> > So there is something wrong with that directory, but we don't know where
> > to look for the problem.
>
> I think you're right. I'm surprised that no additional errors are logged.
> I'll have to test backing up mounted drives (I assume that J:\ is mapped
> from a network server?) and add some more debugging code when I have time.
> Sorry about this error. Does any older client work better for you?

Yes, J: is mapped to a share on another server in the Windows domain. The Box Backup service is
running as the Domain Admin.

OK, no problem, can you recommend an older client for us to try (and how I should get it [http
link, svn command line, etc])?

> > Should I submit a bug that the logs give us no clue as to what is wrong
> > with the location (and maybe that the error message is misleading)?
>
> I don't think the error is misleading, what makes you think that? I know
> that it doesn't give enough information in this case. Please do file a bug
> report about that.

I interpreted it to be misleading because the error said
     Failed to setup location 'J04CommonFiles' path 'J:\04CommonFiles'
and I read that as that BB couldn't _create_ a _new_ BackupLocation, but in fact it shouldn't have
been trying anyway and/or cuz that BackupLocation exists already.  Based on my guess as to what is
going on, I would think in this case it should report something about a bad file or link, and
which one it was, or report something about why it couldn't create the BackupLocation.

Thanks again, Chris,
Pete