[Box Backup] Failed to setup location

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 26 Jul 2007 09:05:13 +0100 (BST)

Hi Pete,

>> I think you're right. I'm surprised that no additional errors are
>> logged. I'll have to test backing up mounted drives (I assume that J:\
>> is mapped from a network server?) and add some more debugging code when
>> I have time. Sorry about this error. Does any older client work better
>> for you?
>
> Yes, J: is mapped to a share on another server in the Windows domain.
> The Box Backup service is running as the Domain Admin.
>
> OK, no problem, can you recommend an older client for us to try (and how
> I should get it [http link, svn command line, etc])?

Could you try 1569, and if that doesn't work 1280? You can get them from
here:

http://bbdev.fluffy.co.uk/trac/wiki/WindowsClientReleases

Please download the clients as soon as possible as there is a scheduled
downtime on our trac/svn server that might last all weekend.

If one of those two versions does work for you, please could you try the
intermediate ones to help narrow down where the problem appeared?

> I interpreted it to be misleading because the error said
>     Failed to setup location 'J04CommonFiles' path 'J:\04CommonFiles'
> and I read that as that BB couldn't _create_ a _new_ BackupLocation, but in fact it shouldn't have
> been trying anyway and/or cuz that BackupLocation exists already.

Yes, it's not supposed to mean that. How about "Failed to configure
location" or "Failed to access location"?

> Based on my guess as to what is going on, I would think in this case it
> should report something about a bad file or link, and which one it was,
> or report something about why it couldn't create the BackupLocation.

Yes, it should have, in fact I couldn't yet find a code path where it
doesn't report such an error, although I haven't searched exclusively.

You do have write access to that directory, right?