[Box Backup] Failed to setup location

E.W. Peter Jalajas boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 26 Jul 2007 08:28:53 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks, Chris.

> Please download the clients as soon as possible as there is a scheduled
> downtime on our trac/svn server that might last all weekend.

OK, I've downloaded all three, 1569, 1516, and 1280.  (We tried 1662 last night to no avail; see
the bug report.)

> > I interpreted it to be misleading because the error said
> >     Failed to setup location 'J04CommonFiles' path 'J:\04CommonFiles'
> > and I read that as that BB couldn't _create_ a _new_ BackupLocation, but in fact it shouldn't
> have
> > been trying anyway and/or cuz that BackupLocation exists already.
>
> Yes, it's not supposed to mean that. How about "Failed to configure
> location" or "Failed to access location"?

Oh, I think maybe I see now.   How about just saying in English what the code is doing at that
step (or just spitting out the code line if that is very easy, for now)?  I still can't tell at
the moment in your suggested phrasing whether the "configure" or "access" failed on the client box
or the server, and/or whether it is the "BackupLocation" container-type thing or the OS "Path" or
files that is/are having the problem.

> > Based on my guess as to what is going on, I would think in this case it
> > should report something about a bad file or link, and which one it was,
> > or report something about why it couldn't create the BackupLocation.
>
> Yes, it should have, in fact I couldn't yet find a code path where it
> doesn't report such an error, although I haven't searched exclusively.

There's just a handful of directories and files at the root of the Path.  I wish I had a tool of
some sort to test each one for some appropriate property.  We tried several different variants of
things like (from my failing human memory):

    attrib  (all in the top level had just the "A" flag)
    dir /q  (all directories were BUILTIN\Administrators and files were DOMAIN\Administrators

Can anyone think of any other tests we can run on these problematic files and directories to help
show why they cause Box Backup to fail (as compared to those that do not fail)?

> You do have write access to that directory, right?

Yes, we can add and delete files in the top level of the BackupLocation Path on the client
machine.  I'll have to triple check that "we" are who we think we are..., but we've given the
DOMAIN\Admin Full Control to those shares and we set up the Windows Service to run as that same
DOMAIN\Admin.

Um, I forget, why do we have to have write access again...?

Thanks again, Chris.  I appreciate all the help.

Pete