[Box Backup] Failed to setup location

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 26 Jul 2007 21:23:05 +0100 (BST)

Hi Pete,

> OK, I've downloaded all three, 1569, 1516, and 1280.  (We tried 1662
> last night to no avail; see the bug report.)

Thanks. I hope one of them works for you!

>> Yes, it's not supposed to mean that. How about "Failed to configure
>> location" or "Failed to access location"?
>
> Oh, I think maybe I see now.  How about just saying in English what the
> code is doing at that step (or just spitting out the code line if that
> is very easy, for now)?  I still can't tell at the moment in your
> suggested phrasing whether the "configure" or "access" failed on the
> client box or the server, and/or whether it is the "BackupLocation"
> container-type thing or the OS "Path" or files that is/are having the
> problem.

That's a catch-all exception handler. There are not supposed to be any
unhandled exceptions in that block which don't produce a more specific
error message. The fact that there is one means that I have to
double-check all code paths that might throw that error to see why one is
being thrown and no error message produced. It might be an error on the
client or the server, but the actual error in this case (Common
OSFileError) seems to imply that it's an error on the client.

> Can anyone think of any other tests we can run on these problematic
> files and directories to help show why they cause Box Backup to fail (as
> compared to those that do not fail)?

No, sorry, I can't think of anything right now. I'll add some more
debugging code which I hope will help, and test backups of mounted
network drives.

>> You do have write access to that directory, right?
>
> Yes, we can add and delete files in the top level of the BackupLocation
> Path on the client machine.  I'll have to triple check that "we" are who
> we think we are..., but we've given the DOMAIN\Admin Full Control to
> those shares and we set up the Windows Service to run as that same
> DOMAIN\Admin.
>
> Um, I forget, why do we have to have write access again...?

You shouldn't need write access, but it's one thing to eliminate, which I
think you have done.

Are you running Box Backup as a service? And does the service user (e.g.
LocalSystem) have write access there? Does the location work if you run
the backup from the command line as a normal user?

> Thanks again, Chris.  I appreciate all the help.

Thank you for your patience and help!