[Box Backup] Box Backup port registration

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 28 Jun 2007 21:36:21 +0100 (BST)

Hi all,

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007, Reinhard Tartler wrote:

> No, I don't run bbstored on my laptop.
>
> However, I run another service on port 2201, which seems to break the
> tests as well :/ - pff, let's see when I find some time to fix the
> testsuite to use a random free port for the tests...

I've just realised that port 2201 is not registered with IANA
(http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers), and is in fact reserved
for another application, "Advanced Training System Program".

Ports 2210 and 22201 are available, perhaps we should register one of
these and change the default port in bbstored? Any objections or
preferences?

I propose the following registration details (see RFC 4340 at
ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc4340.txt, section 19.9):

bbstored 2210/tcp (or 22201/tcp) Box Backup store daemon SC:bbsd
(http://www.fluffy.co.uk/boxbackup)
# Ben Summers <boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk>

We would also need to request a Service Code such as SC:bbsd as defined in
RFC4340 section 8.1.2.

I have no idea where to send such registration requests at present. Does
anyone know?