[Box Backup] I have the fear....

Ben Bennett boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 14:24:12 -0400

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 06:04:59PM +0000, Ben Summers wrote:

> On 13 Mar 2007, at 16:39, Ben Bennett wrote:
>

> >BoxBackup is running (but may have been stopped for a week).  I am
> >backing up to an external USB device which one of my kids had
> >"helpfully" turned off.
>
> Can you be more precise about your configuration? This sounds a
> little odd.

I have 2 linux machines.  The server has an external USB drive
attached with an ext3 filesystem on it.  This is where the boxbackup
is writing the backups to.

> Have you got the logs from around this time? Errors with connections
> and the like should have been logged.

The only errors I see are a couple of these:
messages.1:Mar  5 23:13:36 ayup bbstored[2732]: in server child, exception Connection TLSReadFailed (Probably a network issue between client and server.) (7/34) -- terminating child

Which makes sense, because I had a switch flake out about that time.

> >than the boxbackup dir?
>
> State is in memory. The files in /etc/bbackupd just track 'large'
> files by inode number.

Well, these ones are pretty small... so it probably isn't tracking them.

> >Could something have been confused and
> >thought it had been written, yet the blocks were unable to be stored?
>
> The server gives the client all the state. This is reset after any
> error.
>
> I don't think the rename would be a problem, I even think there's a
> test for this scenario.

Well, I will run another update soon and keep an eye on the backup
status a little better.

	 Thanks all,

			-ben