[Box Backup] I have the fear....

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 13 Mar 2007 22:21:32 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Ben,

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007, Chris Wilson wrote:

> The problem is that both ._cfg0000_host.conf and host.conf had exactly
> the same modification time before the update tool ran, and host.conf had
> the same modification time afterwards. Because the modification time of
> host.conf did not change between backup runs, Box Backup assumed that
> the file had not changed, and skipped it.
>
> I would consider it a bug in Gentoo that it touched host.conf without
> changing it, and therefore it ended up with the same timestamp as
> ._cfg0000_host.conf.
>
> We could fix this by comparing the inode numbers with our cached store
> as well, or perhaps even doing a full compare on the file, although the
> latter would probably slow down backups a lot (since every file which
> appears not to have been changed would have to be compared).

Except that we don't track inode numbers on small files. Duh.

That seems to leave three reasonable choices:

1. We get gentoo fixed to not touch the original file at the same time as
    the update.

2. You reduce your file tracking size threshold, and we fix Box Backup to
    check inode numbers.

3. Both of the above.

(ruling out full compare of apparently unchanged files).

Opinions, anyone?