[Box Backup] Exception: Cipher EVPFinalFailure (5/6)

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 14:22:27 +0000

On 15 Mar 2007, at 14:11, Paul MacKenzie wrote:

> It is remotely possible for one second a server I was creating to
> replace this one having problems accessed the backup server with
> the other server's key on it. It would only have been for an
> instant but I figure this may be the reason for the problem (as I
> have no other possible explanation).

My first thought on reading the question was that you'd used two
different keys to access the same account, but wanted to check the
obvious before accusing you of such things.

However, it is the most likely explanation for what you're seeing as
the tests pass. However, they only pass in release mode which is a
bit strange, and the debug failures should be investigated.

> I just need to figure out how to fix it as I need to restore some
> files :)

The exception will be thrown when the filenames are decrypted. The
easiest way would be to hack bbackupquery to have an option not to
display the filenames, and guess which root directory is the one you
want from the dates. How's your C++?

I had added a note to the wiki about checking the key material hasn't
changed on login. Probably a sensible precaution.

Ben