[Box Backup] Segmentation Fault

Per Reedtz Thomsen boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Fri, 25 May 2007 12:27:38 -0700

On 5/25/07 12:00 PM, Chris Wilson wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
>> I have a quick question about the use of alternate drive letters.
>>
>> I have the box backup installed on F:
>>
>> Is there a way to set a config variable in the config file so that
>> when I add a path command to access the bbackupquery from anywhere it
>> will default to F: and not C: for the config file?
>>
>> I know this is a very trivial request but I figured I would ask if
>> this is possible.
>
> Sorry, not at the moment. See ticket 12
> [http://bbdev.fluffy.co.uk/trac/ticket/12] which is related.
>
> The hardcoded path is intended to make life a bit easier for people
> who have completely standard installations (in C:\Program Files\Box
> Backup). I'm aware that this does not help users who have non-English
> systems, or whose Windows is not installed on drive C.
>
> I can think of a few possible options, but I don't know enough about
> Windows standards to pick one. Can anyone enlighten me?
>
> 1. Drop the hardcoded path entirely. All users suffer equal pain and
> get used to it.
>
> 2. Store the path in an environment variable. Not very windows-y.
>
> 3. Store the path in a registry key. Not very obvious that it's there,
> how to change it, or how to "install" Box Backup if this is required
> (currently there is no installer).
>
> 4. Leave the current hard-coded path, fix the inconsistent behaviour
> of bbackupd and bbackupquery, and tell users who complain to read the
> installation instructions, which specifically say "C:\Program
> Files\Box Backup". :-)
>
> Any other suggestions?
How about a (shudder) installer? One of the older versions for Windows
had an installer, IIRC...

The installer could manipulate the paths in config files, etc. to fit in
any language setup.

Thanks,
Per

--
Per Reedtz Thomsen | Reedtz Consulting, LLC | F: 209 883 4119
V: 209 883 4102    |   pthomsen@reedtz.com  | C: 209 996 9561