[Box Backup] Segmentation Fault

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Mon, 28 May 2007 11:48:39 +0100 (BST)

Hi Scott,

On Mon, 28 May 2007, scott wrote:

> I have had a lot of experience using inno setup. I would be more then
> happy to create something for the project. The iss file that was
> mentioned before does actually work in inno so this can be used as a
> great headstart.

Please, be my guest. Produce a package from 1692, I'll upload it and
we'll see what people think.

My worry is that I can't prodce such packages, so it will probably become
outdated quite quickly unless you're willing to continue to make the
effort to provide new ones over time.

> Unfortunately the NEW (Vista) windows security methodology is quite
> restrictive (Annoying). To eventually be able to support a default install
> of Vista without the user knowing too much about anything, and to support
> multiple users. The only real way forward is via the registry and separate
> config files in the Windows way.
>
> ie. Config -> c:\Users etc. for each user/account.
>
> Executable -> c:\Program Files\Box Backup

Do we actually have to use the registry for that? Can't we continue to
pass the config filename on the command line as we do now?

What are the actual restrictions? That users can't write to C:\Program
Files? Ah, it's a miracle, good lord! What stops users from installing Box
Backup executables in their own home directories too?

With Box Backup running as a system account (Backup Operator), where is
its home directory?