[Box Backup] Help installing client on Mac OS X

Martin Ebourne boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Sun, 07 Oct 2007 10:21:46 +0100

On Sun, 2007-10-07 at 00:21 +0100, James O'Gorman wrote:
> I've pondered cacert before but never really looked into it.

I've been using cacert for years. I like it a lot and it works really
well for me. I don't believe that certificates should artificially cost
a whole load of money any more than software should. Computer security
shouldn't be a privilege.

I personally trust a CA cert certificate more than I would from a number
of the commercial authorities (Verisign is one for starters).

The two downsides of CA cert is that with the default "membership"
certificates are only valid for 6 months, which means 2 minutes spent
renewing it twice a year. And more importantly for a project like box,
most of the major browsers still don't have it as a default root cert.

On the other hand, if someone is prepared to pay for a commercial cert
as already offered, I certainly don't mind.

Cheers,

Martin.