[Box Backup] Re: bbackupquery and german umlauts

Reinhard Tartler boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 20 Sep 2007 09:11:07 +0200

Chris Wilson <chris@qwirx.com> writes:

> Hi Max,
>
> On Wed, 19 Sep 2007, Max Lindner wrote:
>
>> So the last thing remaining is the question how I can type umlauts
>> inside bbackupquery.
>
> Did you compile Box Backup yourself? If so, please could you re-run the
> configure script and tell us what the output says around this line:
>
>   checking for editline library... no

IIRC, he was using the Debian package for boxbackup, so depending on the
exact version he is using, the buildlog is either [1] or [2]. (sorry,
only amd64 versions. I have the buildlogs for i386 in a local mailbox
somewhere here... hmm)

Anyway, all Debian version have this in the buildlog:

[...]
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for editline library... -ledit
checking editline/readline.h usability... yes
checking editline/readline.h presence... yes
checking for editline/readline.h... yes
checking whether editline supports history... yes
checking for editline/readline.h... (cached) yes
checking for db.h... 4.3.29
checking for library containing Berkeley DB 4.3.29... -ldb
configure: using Berkeley DB version 4.3.29
[...]

[1] http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?pkg=boxbackup;ver=0.10%2Breally0.10-1;arch=amd64;stamp=1183462410

[2] http://experimental.ftbfs.de/fetch.php?&pkg=boxbackup&ver=0.10-1%7Ebpo.1&arch=amd64&stamp=1181754048&file=log&as=raw

> Also, you might like to try installing the "readline" development
> libraries package, and configuring with --enable-gnu-readline, to see if
> the resulting build works properly for you.

Which is intersting for debugging reasons, but the resulting binaries
are due to licencing reasons (readline being GPL and boxbackup BSDish)
are unredistributable. So that would opt out distros like debian and
ubuntu shipping boxbackup in their package repositories.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4