[Box Backup] Re: [Box Backup-dev] Re:BoxReport.pl (was ChrisMerge_1828)

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Fri, 21 Sep 2007 19:57:50 +0100 (BST)

Hi Matt,

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007, Matt Brown wrote:

> The script can be run by hand with or without command line parameters (will
> default to the last found backup in the log file). Script does require
> ExtendedLogging = yes to get the data it needs.

You might want to look into using LogAllFileAccess messages instead of
ExtendedLogging. ExtendedLogging might be slower (it's on the network
path) and LogAllFileAccess should include full paths in each message. It's
also more readable, IMHO. Hopefully the output is not difficult to parse.

> -- Chris I might try altering the code for the backup-client to call
> boxreport.pl if it finds ReportScript = /usr/local/bin/boxreport.pl (or
> similar) in bbackupd.conf (if I can work out how to do it :-) that way I
> can get the the report to generate and mail right after the backup has
> completed rather than having to wait for cron etc.

There should be no need for that, now that we have backup-start and
backup-finish hooks for NotifyScript. When NotifyScript is called for
backup-start, it could record the current time. When called for
backup-finish, it could generate a report from the backup-start time to
the current time.