[Box Backup] Nice statistics.

Kenny Millington boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 03 Apr 2008 10:22:18 +0100

Hi,

> Did anyone write some nice statistics about the daily result of the backup on the client side?
> It isn't that hard, because all information is now available in the logfiles. If anyone has any scripts,
> please make them available, maybe we can all improve it and have a great tool for this.

I originally posted this back in October last year - hope it's useful:-

I've written a (python) script based on the perl script Matt Brown
posted to the list sometime ago for producing (e-mail) reports from
BoxBackup logs.

Alot of credit for this work goes to Matt for both the original idea and
for providing a reasonable amount of testing of this script.

The script (bbreporter.py) is being released under the GNU GPL v3 (or
above) and is available from the following link:-

http://www.3ait.co.uk/misc/bbreporter.py

It's been tested on both Debian Sarge and Ubuntu Dapper. I don't believe
it requires any python libraries not included by default.

To use this script you need to make use of the BoxBackup config option
"LogAllFileAccess = yes" and run the daemon with the -v command line
switch.

Running "bbreporter.py --help" should get you started (once you have log
files to parse).

The script is reasonably well commented where necessary so it shouldn't
be too difficult to see how things work. (Infact I think I waffle on a
bit too much about log rotation in the comments but I decided to leave
it in. :-))

As far as log rotation goes... I didn't go for any of the options in the
script comments, I elected to do the local6.* -/var/log/box syslog rule
and add a local6.none to the /var/log/syslog line so that the boxbackup
log messages don't clutter the syslog (especially now LogAllFileAccess
is on).

Right that's it, I hope it works for everyone and people find it useful.
Patches are ofcourse welcome.

If anyone has any questions I'll certainly do my best to answer them.

--
Kenny Millington
Systems Developer

3aIT Limited - Official Corporate Sponsor of the British Bobsleigh Team

4-10 Barttelot Rd   Horsham   West Sussex   RH12 1DQ
CoReg: 3866698   VATReg: 771388600
T: +44 (0)870 881 5097   F: +44 (0)870 116 0793

Visit www.3aIT.co.uk for Design, Systems, Support

Disclaimer:
The information contained within this email is confidential and may
be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If
you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying or
distribution of this email is prohibited and may be unlawful. The
content of this email represents the views of the individual and not
necessarily 3aIT Limited.  3aIT Limited reserves the right to monitor
the content of all emails in accordance with lawful business
practice. Whilst every effort is made to ensure that attachments are
free from computer viruses before transmission, 3aIT Limited does not
accept any liability in respect of any virus that is not detected.