[Box Backup] Nice statistics.

Tom Albers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 03 Apr 2008 14:47:48 +0200

--nextPart5142610.exSsSGF1Wt

At Thursday 03 April 2008 11:22, you wrote:
> I originally posted this back in October last year - hope it's useful:-

Wow. I knew I saw something like it earlier, but could not find it in the archives.

> It's been tested on both Debian Sarge and Ubuntu Dapper. I don't believe
> it requires any python libraries not included by default.

Installed on SUSE LINUX 10.1, runs out of the box too.

> The script is reasonably well commented where necessary so it shouldn't
> be too difficult to see how things work. (Infact I think I waffle on a
> bit too much about log rotation in the comments but I decided to leave
> it in. :-))

No You Don't. It's perfect as it is. Got me going in minutes. Keep it in.

> As far as log rotation goes... I didn't go for any of the options in the
> script comments, I elected to do the local6.* -/var/log/box syslog rule
> and add a local6.none to the /var/log/syslog line so that the boxbackup
> log messages don't clutter the syslog (especially now LogAllFileAccess
> is on).

Maybe you can add something for syslog-ng users? Something like:

You can remoce the local6 from an existing filter if you wish adn add a new filter for the local6 facility:
filter f_box        { facility(local6); };

After that add a new destination and make sure the filter logs to that destionation:
destination boxmessages { file("/var/log/box"); };
log { source(src); filter(f_box); destination(boxmessages); };

> Right that's it, I hope it works for everyone and people find it useful.
> Patches are ofcourse welcome.

Python is not my best language, but the report looks great, I'll let it run for a while ans see if the customers have feedback on it. If so, I'll try to patch it or let you know. Thanks for writing the script both!

> If anyone has any questions I'll certainly do my best to answer them.

Not completely related to the script, but can you tell me what '113182 file(s) were synchronised.' means? Something like 'checked and up to date' ? And I find '102400.0Mb' slightly hard to read (output of bbackupquery status i think). 100GB would be better.

Also I'd love to make a dutch translation. Is it i18n aware? If so, do you have a pot file to translate?

Best,

Tom Albers
--
KovoKs B.V.