[Box Backup] Restoring old directory tree?

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 8 Apr 2008 12:05:06 +0100

Chris wrote:
> My understanding is that you will get a complete restore unless/
> except:
>
> The directory was recreated with new files before a bbackupd sync
> ran (or
> possibly during the sync). In this case, the top-level directory
> will not
> be marked as deleted, and if some of the files that it contained were
> replaced by files with the same name, then the versions that were
> deleted
> will now be marked as "old" instead of "deleted" (because bbackupd
> never
> had a chance to see that they were missing) and will be excluded from
> "restore -d", although the files may still on the store (unless
> removed by
> housekeeping) and can still be restored manually.
>
> Housekeeping has purged some of the deleted files. In this case I'm
> afraid
> you will not be able to restore them and you will not know that it has
> happened except that files are missing from the restore.
>
> If neither of these things has happened then I believe that you will
> be
> able to restore the directory as it was at the last sync before it was
> deleted, by doing as you have done, "restore -d" on the deleted
> directory
> ID.

An edge case is:

  * Delete a file

  * Wait a few weeks

  * Delete the directory

  * Restore the deleted directory

Now in this case, unless housekeeping got to it, you would also
restore the file you deleted weeks ago, because there's no distinction
between "deleted file" and "deleted file as part of a general
directory tree deletion."

Ben