[Box Backup] Re: Hard Links and rdiff

John Goerzen boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Sat, 12 Apr 2008 21:49:15 -0500

On 2008-04-13, John Goerzen <jgoerzen-WrTMxSeDnuhg9hUCZPvPmw@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> links?  Are there any other POSIX attributes that Box Backup may
> unexpectedly not restore?  Does it preserve mtime, atime, ctime,
> symlinks, block and character devices, FIFO locations, EAs, and
> ACLs?

Two other questions along these lines.  One is relating to sparse
files.  The other relates to this item in the FAQ:

  "If a file is modified or replaced by another file with the same
  modification time, Box Backup will ignore the fact that the file has
  changed."

That would imply to me that boxbackup is looking only at mtime when
determining what needs to be backed up.  In particular, it is likely
ignoring ctime, inode, and device -- at least one of which should have
changed in the scenario described.

-- John