[Box Backup] Re: Hard Links and rdiff

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Sun, 13 Apr 2008 03:54:19 +0100 (BST)

Hi John,

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008, John Goerzen wrote:

> Two other questions along these lines.  One is relating to sparse
> files.

I don't believe we treat them as sparse files during backup or restore.

You've certainly managed to find a lot of problems or limitations Box
Backup very quickly. Well done :-)

>  The other relates to this item in the FAQ:
>
>   "If a file is modified or replaced by another file with the same
>   modification time, Box Backup will ignore the fact that the file has
>   changed."
>
> That would imply to me that boxbackup is looking only at mtime when
> determining what needs to be backed up.  In particular, it is likely
> ignoring ctime, inode, and device -- at least one of which should have
> changed in the scenario described.

Yes, it is only using mtime to determine whether files have changed. I've
been proposing changing this to ctime for a while, mainly confounded by
the fact that Windows doesn't have ctime at all and therefore this would
lead to more inconsistency between platforms.

We've also been talking about using an inotify-type interface where
supported by the OS to detect file changes in real time and avoid the need
to scan the entire tree, but so far nobody has implemented it.

\ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | We are GNU : free your mind & your software |