[Box Backup] constant scan of local files on server

boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Fri, 25 Apr 2008 15:41:01 -0700 (PDT)

> It depends how you install it. If you installed from source, you get two
parcels, client and server. This log message:

>> Apr 25 14:49:18 debian Box Backup (bbackupd)[6109]: NOTICE: Beginning
scan of local files

> indicates that the client (bbackupd) is running.

Now I must admit to be somewhat confused, and I apologize for having to
ask some basic questions. I have not yet run the configuration script for
the client, so I'm not sure where to go for the client options. Would this
be the "../../bin/bbstored/bbstored testfiles/bbstored.conf" (shown in
ps)? If so, that's a bit odd, as that path doesn't exist on my system. It
also seems I have the backup client running twice, and I'm not sure how
that happened.

How can I separate the two, or is it just a matter or executing the right
binaries and options? I'm not sure that I should have the client running
on my BoxBackup server.

> I'm sorry that it took so long, please let us know where and how we can
improve the process or the documentation.

This did not take me long at all, other than an hour here and there wasted
from working way past my bedtime. I've been quite busy working on my
clients and can only find time to work on this scattered throughout the
week.

The only part that was a bit unclear was how to manage the certs, but a
howto mentioned in a past e-mail helped me be sure that I ended up doing
it correctly (although not quite as suggested... I created and signed the
certs on the same server).

Just so you know when I'm finished I will write up the requirements for
installing this on Debian for you, and others on the net, to use. There
were quite a few installation pre-install requirements for compiling from
source on Debian that weren't listed on your site.
--
Sean Van Couwenberghe
Vanco Computing