[Box Backup] constant scan of local files on server

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Fri, 25 Apr 2008 23:24:22 +0100 (BST)

Hi Sean,

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, admin@vancocomputing.net wrote:

> Thank you for the quick response. Please call me Sean ;)

OK :-)

> > Where did you see the reference to SINGLEPROCESS? This command is
> > outdated, I'm surprised that it works at all. If you want to run a Box
> > backup daemon on the console, using the -DV options is a better way to
> > do it.
>
> I found that command in the list archives, back in March or April. I ran
> the command with the -DV options as you suggested and here is what I
> got:
>
> NOTICE: Starting daemon, version 0.11rc2, config: /etc/box/bbstored.conf
> Housekeeping process started
> Starting housekeeping
> Finished housekeeping
>
> I gave it about 10 minutes to change, but it did not after "Finished
> housekeeping".

It will not do anything until the next housekeeping time
(TimeBetweenHousekeeping in bbstored.conf) or it's contacted by the client
(bbackupd).

> > Did you configure the client's UpdateStoreInterval to 3 seconds? If so,
> > then this is expected behaviour. If not, please post your configuration
> > file.
>
> I had not yet delved that deeply into the configs, so I guess shame on me.
> I'll look at it and make any necessary changes and get back to you on the
> change in behavior. After a quick google, isn't that setting for clients?

Yes.

> Does the client get installed on the server automatically? I was under
> the impression that it did not, but I may have inadvertently installed
> the client at 1 am the other day.

It depends how you install it. If you installed from source, you get two
parcels, client and server. This log message:

> Apr 25 14:49:18 debian Box Backup (bbackupd)[6109]: NOTICE: Beginning
> scan of local files

indicates that the client (bbackupd) is running.

> > Also, it appears that your bbackupd is not configured to back up any
> > files, is that correct?
>
> Yes, that is correct. For the last few days, as I've had time, I've been
> concentrating on just getting the server itself running correctly.

I'm sorry that it took so long, please let us know where and how we can
improve the process or the documentation.

\ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | We are GNU : free your mind & your software |