[Box Backup] Re: client connection error

boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Mon, 28 Apr 2008 15:28:49 -0700 (PDT)

Chris,

> Could it be that the StoreHostname in bbackupd.conf is incorrect, or that
> your firewall is blocking connections from the user that bbackupd runs as?

The top 10 lines of my bbackupd.conf file is listed below.

Just for clarification, there is no software on the backup server (so
there's nothing that can block by user), and the port forwarding is taking
place "upstream" of the computer at a router. The Linksys router is in
front of all computers but one (the one that I installed the client on).
The client is open to the world and has a firewall installed, but allows
outgoing traffic.

I know there's no blockage from the either the firewall or the router
because I can connect to port 2201 via other protocols (telnet and ssh).
Having said that, I currently have the bbackupd StoreHostname set to the
IP of the router, which is forwarding that port to the backup server (Yes
I'm using NAT... this is just my temporary/testing environment. Eventually
I'll bypass the router). If the NAT might be causing trouble, let me know
and I'll try to get it onto a public IP. That could be difficult with my
setup.

> Please could you run bbackupd with the -DVT options and tell us what it
> prints out?

The "/usr/local/bin/bbackupd -DVT" command returned this (please note that
I'm configured for snapshot mode):

15:07:18 NOTICE: Starting daemon, version 0.11rc2, config:
/etc/box/bbackupd.conf
15:07:18 Wait on command socket, delay = 1024000000

bbackupd.conf:

ns2:/etc/box# cat bbackupd.conf

StoreHostname = [router IP]
AccountNumber = 0x1
KeysFile = /etc/box/bbackupd/1-FileEncKeys.raw

CertificateFile = /etc/box/bbackupd/1-cert.pem
PrivateKeyFile = /etc/box/bbackupd/1-key.pem
TrustedCAsFile = /etc/box/bbackupd/serverCA.pem

DataDirectory = /var/bbackupd (what does this control? I can't find
documentation on this line)

Sean