[Box Backup] Re: client connection error

boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Mon, 28 Apr 2008 18:27:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hey Chris,

> I don't know either. It's a shame that we can't reproduce it. Please keep
> an eye on your backups and run a compare command regularly, and let me
> know if it appears to stop backing up for any reason.
>
> Do you have logs from the early runs which should have backed things up
> but didn't?

I sure do have those client logs. They will be at the end of the e-mail
and a quick note.

> You don't get emails for backup-start and backup-finish by default, only
> for errors.
>
> If you run the command shown in those log lines (for a failure), do you
> get an email as expected? If not, what output do you get and what's in
> your mail server logs?

If I run the command manually, I do get an error e-mail. I see in the
local server's logs (backup mail server, normally dormant) that it sent me
two error messages regarding the backup errors. One from this morning and
one from a few minutes ago when I ran the script manually.

Thanks!

Sean

---------------------------

Apr 28 07:26:27 ns2 Box Backup (bbackupd)[5131]: NOTICE: Starting daemon,
version 0.11rc2, config: /etc/box/bbackupd.conf
Apr 28 07:32:34 ns2 Box Backup (bbackupd)[5131]: NOTICE: Beginning scan of
local files
Apr 28 07:32:34 ns2 Box Backup (bbackupd)[5131]: WARNING: Exception
thrown: ConnectionException(Conn_SocketConnectError) at S
ocketStream.cpp(223)
Apr 28 07:32:34 ns2 Box Backup (bbackupd)[5131]: NOTICE: About to notify
administrator about event backup-error, running scri
pt '/etc/box/bbackupd/NotifySysadmin.sh backup-error'
Apr 28 07:32:45 ns2 Box Backup (bbackupd)[5131]: NOTICE: File statistics:
total file size uploaded 0, bytes already on server
 0, encoded size 0
Apr 28 07:51:28 ns2 Box Backup (bbackupd)[5131]: NOTICE: Beginning scan of
local files
Apr 28 07:51:28 ns2 Box Backup (bbackupd)[5131]: WARNING: Exception
thrown: ConnectionException(Conn_SocketConnectError) at S
ocketStream.cpp(223)
Apr 28 07:51:28 ns2 Box Backup (bbackupd)[5131]: WARNING: Suppressing
duplicate notification about backup-error
Apr 28 07:51:38 ns2 Box Backup (bbackupd)[5131]: NOTICE: File statistics:
total file size uploaded 0, bytes already on server
 0, encoded size 0
[IT DID NOT AUTOMATICALLY RUN THE NOTIFYSYSADMIN.SH SCRIPT FROM THIS POINT
ON] - sorry for the caps, wanted to make a delineation from logs and the
note.

Repeated about 10 times, for 10 or so failed backup attempts. No
associated logs on the bbstored server, as if the client didn't even make
a connection attempt.