[Box Backup] Restoring a corrupted archive?

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 30 Apr 2008 22:29:23 +0100 (BST)

Hi Magnus,

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008, Magnus Homann wrote:

> The archive seems quite corrupted, or the erropr handling of the restore
> function is not so robust.
>
> After fixing the CannotDecodeDiffedFilesWithoutCombining error in previous
> post by removing the object and run bbackupstore check <nr> fix, I have now
> encountered the following issue.
>
> BackupStore AttribuesNotLoaded (4/26)
>
> The error appears to occur on a directory, and if I remove the object
> '0xbfd9', it is rebuilt with subsequent error of the same kind.
>
> It seems the retore process is not very friendly to a corrupted archive. I run
> Ubuntu 0.10-1 version of boxbackup. Is there any use in downloading .011rc3
> and use that server and client? Will that REALYY mess my system up?
>
> I'm starting to get a bit desperate here...

This really should not be happening. Is this all data that you copied from
the remote system, i.e. no remnants of your old corrupt local backup? Is
it possible that the local copy got corrupted while it was being rsynced?

Also, were you running compare regularly on your files? When did you last
run it? It's possible that these errors were in your store for a while but
never got detected because compare wasn't run.

How exactly did your local filesystem get corrupted? Was it user error or
a hardware failure? Could bad hardware have been slowly corrupting the
local copy?

Do you have compressed encrypted files over 2GB in the remote repository?

When you say 0xbfd9 is recreated, do you know by what? If it's by
bbstoreaccounts check fix, could you tell me what it outputs when it does
this?

\ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | We are GNU : free your mind & your software |