[Box Backup] Deleted files / Old files

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 5 Aug 2008 12:15:13 +0100

On 5 Aug 2008, at 12:00, Tom Albers wrote:

> I would like to have some more info about reusing the space of
> deleted and/or old files. I would like to know what the current
> logic is. For example, I've the following account:
>
>>          Used   101889.1Mb  99%
>> ***************************************
>>     Old files        0.4Mb   0%
>> Deleted files    28150.0Mb  27% **********
>>   Directories       67.1Mb   0%
>>    Soft limit    97280.0Mb  95%
>> **************************************
>>    Hard limit   102400.0Mb 100%
>

> But I'm also getting:
>
>> Errors (15)
>> ---------------------
>> Failed to upload file: /home/backup/keriobackup/F20080729T180002Z.
>> 1.zip: server
>> error: StorageLimitExceeded
>> Failed to upload file: /home/backup/keriobackup/F20080729T180002Z.
>> 1.zip: caught
>> exception: Connection Protocol_UnexpectedReply (Server probably
>> reported an
>> error.) (7/47)
>
> I'ld assume that this would have been uploaded successfully and re-
> use the disk space occupied by 'Deleted files', but it obviously is
> not working like that.
>
> To give more background: I've a couple of 4GB files which I need to
> backup each night, but they are only relevant untill the next one is
> uploaded, so an expiry of one day would be nice. ;-)

Make sure ((hard limit) - (soft limit)) > (largest file to upload),
otherwise you hit the hard limit. However, the client has logic to
stop it attempting the upload if it would exceed the limit and will
send you an email. I am puzzled why this isn't happening.

Ideally it should let you upload the file if the deleted and old files
are larger than the excess over the hard limit, then it be reduced on
the next housekeeping. This would mean the administrator needs to have
plenty of free space on the disc, and if the client never disconnects
for long enough to get a housekeeping run, they can use twice the disc
space allocated.

Ben