[Box Backup] Announcing 0.11 Release Candidate 2

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Fri, 1 Feb 2008 09:14:45 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Alex,

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008, Alex Harper wrote:

> > Please could you test the latest trunk to see if I've fixed the
> > problem successfully?
>
> Seems like your guess was correct, trunk is now passing all tests for
> me.

Great, thanks!

> I gather it was a timing issue?

Yes, timing/race. A cache invalidated by timestamps on files, a filesystem
that only stores timestamps with 1 second resolution and a machine fast
enough to change the files and access the directory again within the same
second, add up to this bug.

> FWIW before I saw your response I had gone ahead and run tests on OS X
> x86 (Xeon, Core 2) and PPC (G5) on 10.4.11 and 10.5.1. Tests were
> consistently passing on PPC and older x86, but failures were consistent
> on the newer x86 machines.

I only tested on PPC macs because that's all I have access to.

\ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | We are GNU : free your mind & your software |