[Box Backup] Run several config-files as one Client

James O'Gorman boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 19 Feb 2008 20:15:14 +0000

On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 08:57:32PM +0100, Benedikt Niessen wrote:
>  That was my idea. Im just a little confused about the client id thing. My
>  idea was to name the server with the id 1 and have a copy for each
>  bbackupd.conf jail, bbackupd_$jail.conf as you named it. The only difference
>  would be the foldername inside the config.

The client id is just a reference for the box that's being backed up. In
this case, the host server (i.e. the one which contains the jails) could
have a single client id, and then when you wish to restore a file for a
jail, you just retrieve it from that jail's location in the backup,
like:

$ bbackupquery
query > cd jail1/etc
query > get rc.conf /root/rc.conf.restored
Object ID xxxxxxxx fetched sucessfully.
query > cd /jail2
query > restore home /newdisk/home

This is probably the easiest way to manage your jails, rather than
having a separate client account for each jail.

I have my jails backed up this way, and it works fine :-)

>  I have not had a close look or any experience with boxbackup so I dont know
>  if this would work. But if it works and BoxBackup is not "confused", then
>  sure this is my way to go.

As far as Box cares, they're just files on a disk. You might want to
look at the Exclude patterns if you don't want to backup the OS binaries
(e.g. /bin, /sbin) from each jail.

Here's my Location directive in bbackupd.conf:

        jails
        {
                Path = /data/jails
                ExcludeDirsRegex = .+/[s]?bin$