[Box Backup] Backuping inversely

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Fri, 25 Jan 2008 23:18:50 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Pablo,

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008, Pablo Fernandez wrote:

> Think about it from the perspective of a system administrator of a
> cluster where the number of nodes grows. Keeping the schedule of backups
> in clients becomes unmanageable and having a central scheduler would
> make the job much easier.

Why do you want to keep a schedule in the first place? Why not just let
the clients stream backups at their own speed, when they want to? The
server should be perfectly capable of handling that.

> I like the assumption that the server is unsecure, but I think what is
> mostly unsecure is the storage, not the server itself, as long as the
> data is only accessible to the client I don't think it would be a
> negative impact to allow the server to control when backups are made.

I think it adds complexity and I can't see myself using it, but if others
are interested as well then I'll certainly consider it. Patches would also
be accepted :-)

\ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | We are GNU : free your mind & your software |