[Box Backup] Backuping inversely

Pablo Fernandez boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Sat, 26 Jan 2008 02:10:03 -0200

Hi

On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 23:18 +0000, Chris Wilson wrote:

> Why do you want to keep a schedule in the first place? Why not just let
> the clients stream backups at their own speed, when they want to? The
> server should be perfectly capable of handling that.

This would allow you to set and manage backup policies from a
centralized place. Think bacula director. Think for example in the case
where backup is modeled as SaaS and clients are the one that are not
supposed to dictate their policy. Given a scenario like this where SLAs
are subject to contracts a central management or some sort of control is
quite important.

> > I like the assumption that the server is unsecure, but I think what is
> > mostly unsecure is the storage, not the server itself, as long as the
> > data is only accessible to the client I don't think it would be a
> > negative impact to allow the server to control when backups are made.
>
> I think it adds complexity and I can't see myself using it, but if others
> are interested as well then I'll certainly consider it. Patches would also
> be accepted :-)

I think this would add to the scalability of the project. I've been
looking into a rather large amount of solutions including leaders like
Amanda and Bacula and Box Backup is definitely on a great path, I just
think it lacks a few things very important for large networks where
maintainability is a big issue.

Best regards,
Pablo