[Box Backup] Restoring deleted files recursively

Torsten boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Mon, 28 Jan 2008 19:34:57 +0100

Hi Chris,

sorry for the late answer, i had some natural viruses ;)

> On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, Chris Wilson wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 14 Jan 2008, Torsten wrote:
> >
> > > Using bbackupquery 'restore' does recursively restore all files and
> > > directories.
> > >
> > > 'restore -d' does only restore the (deleted) files in the requested
> > > directory. It does NOT restore subdirectories.
> > >
> > > Is that the desired functionality?
> >
> > No, that sounds like a bug. I will look into it. Thanks for the report.
>
> I just tried to reproduce this and was unable to. restore -d does seem to
> restore deleted directories inside a deleted directory.
>
> What I did was:
>
> * run bbackupd test in debug mode
> * cd debug/test/bbackupd
> * ../../bin/bbstored/bbstored testfiles/bbstored.conf
> * rm -rf testfiles/TestDir1/spacetest
> * run bbackupd -c testfiles/bbackupd.conf -DV
> * kill bbackupd with Ctrl+C after one backup run
> * run bbackupquery -c testfiles/bbackupd.conf
> * verify that Test1/spacetest is marked as deleted
> * restore it with -d to a new directory
>
> All directories are restored except the empty ones (d3 and d7) which are
> automatically deleted by housekeeping.
>
> Please could you try these steps for me and see if it does the same for
> you? Does your situation resemble this one, or am I testing the wrong
> thing?

You are right, this check works fine for me (thanks you for the detailed howto).

I made some tests and now i can more specific describe my problem.

Deleted files inside of a (not deleted) subdirectory are not restored.

Example (fileorder):

--D1--F1
    --F2
    --D2--F3
        --F4

Delete F2 and F4. They will be marked as deleted.

"restore D1" restores only F1, but not F3

Do you understand it? Its difficult to describe for me. If needed i can make more detailed descriptions.

Maybe it is a rarely used feature but is there a way to do this?

thank you
  Torsten