[Box Backup] Suppresing duplicate notification about backup error

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 2 Jul 2008 18:53:34 +0100 (BST)

Hi Wolfgang,

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008, Wolfgang Trexler wrote:

> due to a disk crash my BoxBackup server wen't down. It took me a few
> days 'till I found out and I wondered why I got no no error mail from my
> BoxBackup clients. Backup is in lazy-mode and it seems I already got a
> notification a few weeks ago when there was a short network outage.
> However the network recovered, and the backup worked fine again until
> the server crash.
>
> In the log file I find:
> Jul  1 22:00:57 hostname Box Backup (bbackupd)[2304]: WARNING: Suppressing
> duplicate notification about backup-error
> Jul  1 22:00:57 hostname Box Backup (bbackupd)[2304]: ERROR: Exception caught
> (Connection SocketConnectError (Probably a network
> issue between client and server, bad hostname, or server not running.) 7/15),
> reset state and waiting to retry...
>
> So in my scenario due to the information given at the network outage a few
> weeks I was not informed about the server crash as the server daemon was not
> restarted in between. I think this is a rather common scenario, is there any
> way to suppress the suppression? ;-)

Thanks for reporting this. There was a missing reset of the backup-error
suppression after a successful backup. I've added that reset now.

> Does it really make sense not to inform the admin about a "catastrophic"
> failure (like the server is not reachable), because he was already
> informed some time ago? I would prefer to get a bunch of duplicate
> messages in this case...

I'm not sure, suppression is what we've traditionally done but I'm happy
to remove it if other people think it would be a good idea too. Hopefully
with the suppression reset in place, it will work much better now anyway.

\ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | We are GNU : free your mind & your software |