[Box Backup] lazy and snapshot together, file formats and files changing often

Sean Van Couwenberghe boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Fri, 20 Jun 2008 10:47:32 -0700

Chris, thank you for asking our opinions.

I wold say that a "snapshot" is typically understood to be a full, current
image of the backup schema. In that case, I would think that a "snapshot"
would be a full backup of all files at the time of the bakcup, and a "lazy
mode" backup would be using the current setup of only backup up changes as
noted in the original e-mail below. It would be nice to have a system set
to "lazy mode" and be able to run a manual, or schedule for periodic
occurrance, full "snapshot" backup.

While I'll find this software useful, what I'll be waiting for is having the
ability to make backups where I or the end user could choose to backup a
different snapshot, if available, to help protect against corrupted data in
the latest lazy mode backup.

I'm thinking that this could either be done through a full snapshot as noted
above, or having the system be able to differentiate between different lazy
mode backups, basically picking which "change" level to restore from. I hope
that makes sense, and I do understand that having either of these options
enabled would take more storage space.

Just my vote/opinion.
--
Sean Van Couwenberghe