[Box Backup] lazy and snapshot together, file formats and files changing often

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Fri, 20 Jun 2008 20:31:18 +0100 (BST)

Hi Sean,

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008, Sean Van Couwenberghe wrote:

> I wold say that a "snapshot" is typically understood to be a full,
> current image of the backup schema. In that case, I would think that a
> "snapshot" would be a full backup of all files at the time of the
> bakcup, and a "lazy mode" backup would be using the current setup of
> only backup up changes as noted in the original e-mail below. It would
> be nice to have a system set to "lazy mode" and be able to run a manual,
> or schedule for periodic occurrance, full "snapshot" backup.
>
> While I'll find this software useful, what I'll be waiting for is having
> the ability to make backups where I or the end user could choose to
> backup a different snapshot, if available, to help protect against
> corrupted data in the latest lazy mode backup.
>
> I'm thinking that this could either be done through a full snapshot as
> noted above, or having the system be able to differentiate between
> different lazy mode backups, basically picking which "change" level to
> restore from. I hope that makes sense, and I do understand that having
> either of these options enabled would take more storage space.

Sorry, I'm not sure exactly what you're describing here:

* What does "backup a different snapshot" mean?

* "to help protect against corrupted data in the latest lazy mode backup":
  MinimumFileAge is supposed to do this for you, so the chance of a
  corrupted file in a lazy backup is actually lower than with a forced
  snapshot of all files unless the moment of that snapshot is carefully
  chosen.

* "picking which change level to restore from": what's a change level?
  lazy vs snapshot?

\ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | We are GNU : free your mind & your software |