[Box Backup] lazy and snapshot together, file formats and files

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Fri, 20 Jun 2008 21:19:49 +0100 (BST)

Hi Sean,

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008, admin@vancocomputing.net wrote:

> I'm sorry Chris, I could have been more clear and said that in fewer
> words. After reviewing this my initial e-mail was just a waste of
> everyone's time.

No, thanks for putting the ideas out there.

> By "backup a different snapshot" meant to have the ability to backup
> multiple snapshots and have each available for restoration if needed.
> This may already be the case, but I'm still only backing up one system
> and haven't tested all the features. I apologize if you've already
> covered this.

Unfortunately it's not possible at the moment as we don't keep track of
what files and what versions existed at any particular time. That feature
is planned for the future.

> This last point was lazy of me to write that way... horrid English.
> "Picking which change level to restore from" was meant to mean this
> (which if I remember correctly you are already working on):
>
> To have the ability for the end user to define backups, say on a daily
> basis, but when a problem occurs to be able to restore data from three
> days ago instead of the previous day. This would be mainly intended to
> protect items that were modified incorrectly and an older version needing
> to be restored.

We do already keep old versions of files, so this should be possible,
providing you have plenty of free space in your account on the store so
that older versions aren't deleted to make way for newer files.

The problem is that currently it doesn't extend beyond individual files to
a "state of the system" or even of a directory.

> My apologies, I'll put more time into future replies so that they make
> proper sense.

:-)

\ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | We are GNU : free your mind & your software |