[Box Backup] Backing up to mounted network storage

Greg Bolshaw boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 8 May 2008 11:52:36 +0100

On 5 May 2008, at 21:11, Chris Wilson wrote:
> This setup is not recommended because:
>
> * You lose the bandwidth efficiency of Box Backup (which exists only
>  between bbackupd and bbstored). Running over the VPN is particularly
>  likely to have poor performance.
>
> * Many NAS devices, particularly cheap ones, are very slow
>
> * The necessary POSIX semantics for safe operation of bbstored, e.g.
>  allowing renaming over existing files (atomic replace), may not work
>  correctly, particularly on an SMB server.
>
> However, if you're willing to take the risks and compare regularly, it
> might work OK.
>
> bbstored was designed to be lightweight and to run on embedded
> systems, so
> if your NAS device is an open system and runs a POSIX operating
> system you
> may find that you can successfully run bbstored on the NAS itself.

Hi Chris

Thanks for the detailed reply. I will give it a go in a test
environment and see how the performance and reliability suffer. Out of
interest, what would happen if the network storage became unavailable
during a backup? Would the client know where to resume from?

Thanks
Greg