[Box Backup] Deleting from backup

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Sun, 11 May 2008 15:41:20 +0200 (CAT)

Hi Greg,

On Sun, 11 May 2008, Greg Bolshaw wrote:

>> A 'delete <object-id>' would be good in bbackupquery.
>
> I agree, it would be great to have such a function. Ideally this would
> also allow for the removal of directories including subdirectories and
> files. Would this be difficult to implement?

Not really, the command already exists in the protocol (bbackupd uses it),
but it only marks the files as deleted rather than actually deleting them.
Only the store can actually, permanently delete files.

> Is it possible to automatically delete files from the backup after a
> number of days, rather than keeping them until the storage limit is
> reached? I would like to create a backup scheme where the last 30 days
> of files are always available, rather than the last n GB.

Of course it's possible in theory but I'm afraid it's not implemented yet.
Currently the store decides when to delete files based on its own
algorithm, which just tries to keep the account below the soft limit.