[Box Backup] Windows Boxbackup path configuration and eventlogs

Chris Wilson boxbackup@boxbackup.org
Tue, 4 Nov 2008 23:45:12 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Brendon,

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008, Brendon Baumgartner wrote:

> > > 1. When a file open error occurs, there are 3 separate event log
> > >    entries. Could this be reduced to 1?
> >
> > That depends, what are they?
>
> They are below (from the logfile, but the event log looks the same):
>
> 14:44:52 [WARNING] Failed to open file: C:\Documents and
> Settings\LocalService\ntuser.dat.LOG: Resource device (16)
> 14:44:52 [WARNING] Exception thrown: CommonException(OSFileOpenError) at
> FileStream.cpp(117)
> 14:44:52 [ERROR]   Failed to upload file: C:\Documents and
> Settings\LocalService\ntuser.dat.LOG: caught exception: Common
> OSFileOpenError (Can't open a file -- attempted to load a non-existant
> config file or bad file referenced within?) (1/2)
>
> It appears the solution for this is the verbosity in logging?

Yes, but it's only a partial solution. If you run bbackupd with -Werror
then you will only get the last error message, but that may not help you
to resolve the problem as it does not give the reason for the error. On
the other hand, "Resource device" is not a very helpful error code (from
Windows) in this case, so maybe you don't need it.

> One other thing, does StoreObjectInfoFile work on the Windows agent? The
> state file never gets created and I have the errors below. Does it take
> a few days for the state file to be created?

It should be created after a successful backup on all platforms. If the
backup fails (does not complete) every time then it will never be created.
Is your backup failing to complete?

\ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | Stop nuclear war http://www.nuclearrisk.org |