[Box Backup] box backup and not existing directories

Chris Wilson boxbackup@boxbackup.org
Sat, 8 Nov 2008 22:17:36 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Torsten,

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008, Torsten wrote:

> if i have a location not existing locally and not existing on the store
> but activated as a location in bbackupd.conf. With this configuration
> box backup throws this errors on start.
>
> ERROR: Failed to stat file: '/test-192.168.1.87-torsten': No such file or
> directory (2)
> WARNING: Exception thrown: CommonException(OSFileError) at
> BackupClientFileAttributes.cpp(309)
> ERROR: Failed to get attributes for path '/test-192.168.1.87-torsten',
> skipping location 'test-192.168.1.87-torsten'
> WARNING: Failed to access directory: /test-192.168.1.87-torsten: No such file
> or directory
> NOTICE: About to notify administrator about event backup-ok, running
> script '/root/exobackup/boxbackup/NotifySysadmin.sh backup-ok'
>
> My problems:
>
> - this errors are only printed once. The next backup runs do not consider to
> backup this location. That is not good for me. I have locations on remote
> storage mounted via samba. So only one mount error and i will never again be
> notified that this location is not backed up.

Thanks for reporting this. I agree that it should be reported on every
backup that the location is not available, or it should be included if it
is. However I'm uncertain about what other effects your patch may have,
and therefore I'm reluctant to include it right now. I'll have to think
about it a bit more, which will take a bit of time.

> - is this the right behavior, that backup-ok is called even though there
>   was this error?

No, that is definitely a bug. I don't have time to fix it now so I've
filed a bug report at http://www.boxbackup.org/trac/ticket/48.

If you like, please continue using your patch and let us know if you have
any problems. That should help me to believe that it's safe to include.

\ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | Stop nuclear war http://www.nuclearrisk.org |