[Box Backup] Eventlog full with warnings

Roy boxbackup@boxbackup.org
Wed, 19 Nov 2008 23:55:11 +0100

Chris Wilson wrote:
> Hi Roy,
>
> On Wed, 19 Nov 2008, Roy wrote:
>

>>> I'm afraid I don't yet know why the corruption is happening, if it is
>>> happening, so I can't help you much except to release a new build with
>>> this warning downgraded to a lower priority level so that it doesn't
>>> spam your logs so much. It doesn't affect the actual operation of Box
>>> Backup, so if it was working before, it will still work now, but I do
>>> want to get to the bottom of it, as I don't yet understand how this
>>> situation can happen.
>>>
>> Can I do something to help you debug this problem? Maybe running a debug
>> build on my workstation?
>>

> I'm afraid there's no debug information that would help at this point. The
> best thing would be to have access to the machine where it happens, but I
> assume that's not possible for you. Failing that, I have to be able to
> reproduce it, and so far I haven't been able to.

It is my workstation, that I use most of the time. So it would be quite
hard to do that. BTW it's a Windows system. So I must use RDP or VNC.
But can I do some things for you to test things? Maybe a chat/debug
session would be quite handy for this?
> If you run the same build on another Windows system, does it have the same
> problem? Can you give me the Volume Serial Numbers of each drive that
> you're backing up?

I didn't upgrade my other Windows systems to this build. And I'm
reluctant to do it, because of these errors.

Where can I find these volume serial numbers? Then I will post them.

>> Or do I have to remove that backup location from my configuration file,
>> wait till it is removed and then add it again to resolve this issues?
>>

> No, that shouldn't be necessary and probably won't help.
>
> What's the biggest problem for you at the moment? The fact that the
> messages are filling up your logs, or is the backup not actually working?
> I think that it should be working if "compare -a" works for you and
> reports no differences. Could you try that and let me know?
>
> Cheers, Chris.

I'm afraid that the backup isn't working correctly. Tomorrow I will do a
compare -a, so then I can tell more. The logs filling is not the worst
of this, it's however annoying. And I stop looking at it, so I can miss
other problems.

Cheers,

Roy