[Box Backup] Eventlog full with warnings

Chris Wilson boxbackup@boxbackup.org
Wed, 19 Nov 2008 23:01:56 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Roy,

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008, Roy wrote:

> > I'm afraid there's no debug information that would help at this point.
> > The best thing would be to have access to the machine where it
> > happens, but I assume that's not possible for you. Failing that, I
> > have to be able to reproduce it, and so far I haven't been able to.
>
> It is my workstation, that I use most of the time. So it would be quite hard
> to do that. BTW it's a Windows system. So I must use RDP or VNC. But can I do
> some things for you to test things? Maybe a chat/debug session would be quite
> handy for this?

Unfortunately at the moment I have no idea where this bug might come from,
how the memory could get corrupted, so I can't think of anything obvious
for you to test unless I can somehow make a custom build of bbackupd that
has memory corruption detection.

Another thing that would be really helpful is to have a debug log file
where both the initial run (when the IDs are stored in the mapping
database) and the subsequent run (where those IDs are used to detect moved
files) in the same file. You've sent me two separate log files already but
I don't know whether there were any intervening runs or what could have
happened in the time between those logs.

> > If you run the same build on another Windows system, does it have the same
> > problem? Can you give me the Volume Serial Numbers of each drive that you're
> > backing up?
>
> I didn't upgrade my other Windows systems to this build. And I'm reluctant to
> do it, because of these errors.

It's just a warning message, which was previously ignored. It could well
be a false alarm.

> Where can I find these volume serial numbers? Then I will post them.

Use "dir" on each drive, the volume serial number is at the top of the
output.

> > What's the biggest problem for you at the moment? The fact that the
> > messages are filling up your logs, or is the backup not actually
> > working? I think that it should be working if "compare -a" works for
> > you and reports no differences. Could you try that and let me know?
>
> I'm afraid that the backup isn't working correctly. Tomorrow I will do a
> compare -a, so then I can tell more. The logs filling is not the worst of
> this, it's however annoying. And I stop looking at it, so I can miss other
> problems.

Please do run a compare -a when you can, I hope that it will reassure you
that the backup is actually working correctly and that the warnings,
although they indicate a false assumption on our part that may be a bug in
Box Backup, are relatively harmless and can be ignored for now.

Unfortunately I'm just too busy this week to look into it much further.
Next week should be better for me.

\ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | Stop nuclear war http://www.nuclearrisk.org |