[Box Backup] Help installing client on MacBook White

James O'Gorman boxbackup@boxbackup.org
Thu, 20 Nov 2008 07:32:43 +0000

On 20/11/08 00:24, Peter Jalajas, GigaLock Backup Services wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I finally broke my rule about only having two operating systems in my
> life (Ubuntu and, alas, Windows).  I bought a MacBook White for my
> guitar-playing son http://www.apple.com/macbook/white/  (it has the
> Intel processor).

Lucky boy :-)

> The good news is that this should help me understand how to run
> boxbackup on Macs and thus, I hope, open up my business to the
> creative folks who like to use Macs.
>
> So, can someone hold my hand through installing boxbackup client on
> this thing?  The only admin I've done on it so far is install
> OpenOffice.org and the like by downloading things like .dmg files and
> dragging them to the "A" thing (I have no idea what it's doing under
> the covers, or if even that is the best way to install things).

I hope that's not exactly what you're doing :-) (The .dmg is like a tar
file, you need to drag things from the .dmg to the Applications folder,
not the .dmg itself.)

I have some notes somewhere on creating a daemon account under Leopard.
I'll try and dig them out and put something on the wiki when I get home
from work tonight.

Feel free to give me a shout if you have any Mac-related questions, too.

James