[Box Backup] Windows client causes bbstored to consume 100% CPU

Frank Breedijk (Prive) boxbackup@boxbackup.org
Mon, 27 Oct 2008 08:45:09 +0100

--------------020003040905050604020106

Chris,

Turns out it is not the windows client, but hte local bbackupd that was
causing this behaviour.

In one of the directories there is a subdir containing 323 files and a
total of 1.7M of data. A cron job deletes this data each night and
unpacks a tarball with the original files in it. Sometimes visitors to
my website (www.autonessus.com) interact with the online demo causing
changes on the original files.

In a timeline:
04:00 Directory gets deleted (timestamp on files revert back to 14 March
2008)
04:xx bbstored gets very busy
Rest of the day: Files change due to users working on the website
(timestamps on certain files go back to current time)
04:00 Directory gets deleted (timestamp on files revert back to 14 March
2008)

What strikes me is that bbstored can so easily escalate to using 100%
CPU for 24 hours a day (approx 14 days).

Sorry for the incorrect bug report. This doesn't have anything to do
with the windows client.

Frank

Chris Wilson wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> On Fri, 24 Oct 2008, Frank Breedijk (Prive) wrote:
>

>> I had configured my windows client
>> (boxbackup-chris_general_1857-backup-client-mingw32.zip) to backup to a
>> gentoo boxbackup installation.
>>
>> However, this seems to cause the bbstored on my gentoo box to consume
>> 100% CPU for increasingly long times [...]
>>
>> If I terminate the client or the clkient terminates the connection the
>> bbstored process does not seem to end.
>>

> Thanks for the bug report. Do you have any messages in the system logs on
> the bbackupd or bbstored end when this happens? Can you reproduce it at
> will? Could you strace the bbstored master process before the client
> connects (with strace -f -s 256) and capture the trace logs somewhere so
> that we can try to see how it gets into this state?
>

>> I do not understand why the cycle seems to start at around 4:00 each day
>> yet.
>>

> At what time does the Windows client connect each day?
>
> Cheers, Chris.

--------------020003040905050604020106

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Chris,<br>
Turns out it is not the windows client, but hte local bbackupd that was
causing this behaviour.<br>
In one of the directories there is a subdir containing 323 files and a
total of 1.7M of data. A cron job deletes this data each night and
unpacks a tarball with the original files in it. Sometimes visitors to
my website (<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.autonessus.com">www.autonessus.com</a>) interact with the online demo causing
changes on the original files. <br>
In a timeline:<br>
04:00 Directory gets deleted (timestamp on files revert back to 14
March 2008)<br>
04:xx bbstored gets very busy<br>
Rest of the day: Files change due to users working on the website
(timestamps on certain files go back to current time)<br>
04:00 Directory gets deleted (timestamp on files revert back to 14
March 2008)<br>
What strikes me is that bbstored can so easily escalate to using 100%
CPU for 24 hours a day (approx 14 days).<br>
Sorry for the incorrect bug report. This doesn't have anything to do
with the windows client.<br>
Frank <br>
Chris Wilson wrote:
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">Hi Frank,

    <pre wrap="">I had configured my windows client
(boxbackup-chris_general_1857-backup-client-mingw32.zip) to backup to a
gentoo boxbackup installation.

However, this seems to cause the bbstored on my gentoo box to consume
100% CPU for increasingly long times [...]

If I terminate the client or the clkient terminates the connection the
bbstored process does not seem to end.
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
Thanks for the bug report. Do you have any messages in the system logs on
the bbackupd or bbstored end when this happens? Can you reproduce it at
will? Could you strace the bbstored master process before the client
connects (with strace -f -s 256) and capture the trace logs somewhere so
that we can try to see how it gets into this state?

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">I do not understand why the cycle seems to start at around 4:00 each day
yet.
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->