[Box Backup] Windows client causes bbstored to consume 100% CPU

Chris Wilson boxbackup@boxbackup.org
Mon, 27 Oct 2008 21:25:58 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Frank,

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008, Frank Breedijk (Prive) wrote:

> In one of the directories there is a subdir containing 323 files and a
> total of 1.7M of data. A cron job deletes this data each night and
> unpacks a tarball with the original files in it. Sometimes visitors to
> my website (www.autonessus.com) interact with the online demo causing
> changes on the original files.
>
> In a timeline:
> 04:00 Directory gets deleted (timestamp on files revert back to 14 March
> 2008)
> 04:xx bbstored gets very busy
> Rest of the day: Files change due to users working on the website
> (timestamps on certain files go back to current time)
> 04:00 Directory gets deleted (timestamp on files revert back to 14 March
> 2008)
>
> What strikes me is that bbstored can so easily escalate to using 100%
> CPU for 24 hours a day (approx 14 days).
>
> Sorry for the incorrect bug report. This doesn't have anything to do
> with the windows client.

But it does sound like a bug in bbstored. No way it should be using 100%
CPU. Are you sure it's bbstored and not bbackupd? Could you provide an
strace of the offending process? Please send it privately to me, not to
the list.

\ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | Stop nuclear war http://www.nuclearrisk.org |