[Box Backup] backup-finish question

Chris Wilson boxbackup@boxbackup.org
Tue, 16 Sep 2008 00:08:08 +0100 (BST)

Hi Torsten and all,

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008, Torsten wrote:

> at every backup run backup-start is executed successfully.
>
> But backup-finish is not executed always. If there is an error, then
> only backup-error is run. Is this the desired behavior ?

Sorry for the delay in replying. You are right that backup-finish should
always be run. I'll fix that very soon. Thanks for pointing it
out.

However, I think there should be an event for backup-ok as well. I'm
planning to add this, but unfortunately this will mean that people will
have to adjust their notify scripts again. Hopefully this will only affect
"early adopters" of 0.11, but if anybody wants to speak against this,
please do so now.

I also plan to add an option to stop the suppression of duplicate events,
as there are many situations where you would want them (e.g. anyone who
wants a report generated after every backup), and it's not at all clear
whether the most useful setting for the backup-ok event would be to allow
or disable it.

Ideally, I think, notification scripts could do this themselves, for
example by tracking the last reported backup state and sending a
notification whenever it changes. However, if anyone objects or has a
better plan, please speak up now.

Finally, I'm planning to add some extra parameters to the notification
script calls that happen at the end of a backup (backup-finish, backup-ok,
backup-error, read-error and store-full) to pass session statistics to the
notify script, to help with generating useful reports without grepping the
syslog. This should not affect backwards compatibility, as existing
scripts should just ignore the extra parameters, I hope. But again, please
speak up if you object.

\ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | We are GNU : free your mind & your software |