[Box Backup] Boxi R657 and Box Backup R2549: Some files are skipped without error or warning

Chris Wilson boxbackup@boxbackup.org
Tue, 11 Aug 2009 00:15:13 +0100 (BST)

Hi Achim,

On Wed, 5 Aug 2009, Achim wrote:

>> Are the files in the profile directory sufficiently old to be older
>> than the MinimumFileAge? If not, they will not be backed up and there
>> will not be any warning, as this is the definition of MinimumFileAge,
>> and it's expected that regular backups will continue and will
>> eventually back up these files. This should be true of both Box Backup
>> and Boxi.
>
> You are, of course, correct: the files we not sufficiently old to be
> older than the MinimumFileAge (default: 21600 seconds, 6 hours).
>
> The default of 6 hours sure seems high from my perspective, given the
> "locality" of data: in the worst case scenario, do you really want to
> lose 6 hours of work? Would you consider lowering that value to 30
> minutes or so, or where does the 6h value come from?

I would definitely consider changing this. Does anyone have anu objections
to lowering the default MinimumFileAge to 30 minutes?

> In any case, does this refer to the modified, accessed, or changed time
> [1]?

Windows has Created, Modified and Accessed times. Unix has Modified,
Changed and Accessed. We use Modified in both cases.