[Box Backup] Unknown errors

Torsten boxbackup@boxbackup.org
Thu, 5 Feb 2009 18:08:05 +0100

Hi Chris,

after a long test period here are my test results.

Am Friday 19 December 2008 17:57:07 schrieb Chris Wilson:
> Hi Torsten,
>
> On Fri, 19 Dec 2008, Torsten wrote:
> > Dec 19 11:55:31 matrix bbackupd[6806]: NOTICE: Beginning scan of local
> > files Dec 19 12:10:18 matrix bbackupd[6806]: ERROR: Failed to read from
> > file: /boxmount/boxmount-SERVERHH/testfile.dat: Permission denied (13)
> > Dec 19 12:10:18 exobackup bbackupd[6806]: WARNING: Exception thrown:
> > CommonException(OSFileReadError) at FileStream.cpp(200)
> > Dec 19 12:10:18 matrix bbackupd[6806]: ERROR: Failed to upload
> > file: /boxmount/boxmount-SERVERHH/testfile.dat: caught exception: Common
> > OSFileReadError (1/14)
> > Dec 19 12:10:18 matrix bbackupd[6806]: WARNING: ListDirectory command
> > failed: received error FileDoesNotVerify = 6
> > Dec 19 12:10:18 matrix bbackupd[6806]: WARNING: Exception thrown:
> > ConnectionException(Conn_Protocol_UnexpectedReply) at
> > autogen_BackupProtocolClient.cpp(1545)
>
> Here is the problem. For some reason, bbackupd was able to open
> /boxmount/boxmount-SERVERHH/testfile.dat, but not able to read from it.
> This was not an expected situation; normally the open would fail if there
> was a permissions problem. Can you copy that file to a local file on
> "matrix" without errors, when running as the bbackupd user? What kind of
> filesystem is it, and if it's a network mount, what is the remote OS?
>
> After this error, it appears that we did not finish the StoreFile
> command, and we sent a ListDirectory command. The server interpreted this
> command as the file data that it was expecting us to upload, and as it is
> not valid file data, it reported the error FileDoesNotVerify.
>
> The client is however expecting a response to the ListDirectory command,
> and FileDoesNotVerify is not a valid response, so it throws the
> Conn_Protocol_UnexpectedReply exception, which ends the backup run.

The error occurs only on cifs mounted exports. But it occurs only sometimes
and i could not reliable reproduce it.

Some lines before the FileDoesNotVerify message from box backup i found the
following in the syslog:

Feb  4 12:03:26 boxbackup kernel: Status code returned 0xc0000054
NT_STATUS_FILE_LOCK_CONFLICT
Feb  4 12:03:26 boxbackup kernel:  CIFS VFS: Send error in read = -13

After some searching with google i found this patch for backuppc. Backuppc
also mounts windows exports and backes them up.

http://osdir.com/ml/sysutils.backup.backuppc.general/2004-09/msg00051.html

I do not really unterstand this problem. But i think
NT_STATUS_FILE_LOCK_CONFLICT should just not be rated as an error?!?

> > Dec 19 11:19:36 test bbackupd[2679]: ERROR: Failed to read from
> > file: /exomount/exomount-server-DiskD/WEB/PC_info/Outlook/Outlook.pst:
> > Permission denied (13)
> > Dec 19 11:19:36 test bbackupd[2679]: ERROR: Internal error during backup
> > run: basic_string::substr
> > Dec 19 11:19:36 test bbackupd[2679]: NOTICE: About to notify
> > administrator about event backup-error, running
> > script '/root/exobackup/boxbackup/NotifySysadmin.sh backup-error'
>
> I'm pretty confused about the basic_string::substr error. According to the
> code this should be impossible. Please could you build a clean copy of the
> latest snapshot or trunk on this machine and try running it instead of
> r2237?
>
> Given that an error was reported about Outlook.pst just before that, I
> suspect that a similar condition may be happening here as the one above.
> Perhaps this one is caused by the file being locked by the operating
> system on "exomount server". Can you copy this file from
> /exomount/exomount-server-DiskD/WEB/PC_info/Outlook to a local disk? If
> you get an error, does it copy part of the file? Could you exclude that
> file from the backup and see if it runs successfully then?

After an update to svn2409 i saw this error only once and i could not repoduce
it. But i will keep an eye on this.

thank you
  torsten