[Box Backup] FeatureRequest: Mass Deletion Protection

Chris Wilson boxbackup@boxbackup.org
Mon, 9 Feb 2009 23:37:00 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Torsten,

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Torsten wrote:

>>> What i want is that: If the location is activated in bbackupd.conf and
>>> it is not accessible in local directory - then bb should not stop
>>> syncing and printing errors. It should print a warning to the logs and
>>> then start syncing the next location. It should not mark the directory
>>> as deleted. Do you think anybody else would need this? I hope you can
>>> understand my english ...
>
> i tested this DeleteRedundantLocationsAfter and i think it does not exactly
> what i want.
>
> I have set DeleteRedundantLocationsAfter = 99999999
>
> Locations not found on the local disk are never deleted, no matter if they are
> activated in bbackupd.conf or not.
>
> I want this:
> * Locations activated in bbackupd.conf and not found on local disk -> never
> delete from backup store.
> * Locations not activated in bbackupd.conf and not found on local disk ->
> delete on backup store after some time (for example the known value of 48
> hours).
>
> Can you help me with this? Perhaps i forgot to activate some value in the
> config?

I agree with your assessment. I think this is a limitation of Box Backup
at the moment, that it cannot tell the difference between the two
situations. I will add a feature request to the bug tracker and work on
fixing it when I have a chance.