[Box Backup] Current status 0.11

Chris Wilson boxbackup@boxbackup.org
Wed, 25 Feb 2009 19:42:43 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Dnk,

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009, Dnk wrote:

> I was curious, as to the current status of 0.11. I have been following
> the list, and waiting to have a go. I am building a new backup server
> and was hoping to have a crack at box backup. Now I read the disclaimers
> about windows and such on the website and wiki. Is there any sort of eta
> when this version may become stable? I know that is probably an annoying
> and broad question.

I'm afraid I can't answer that question just yet. 0.11rc2 is as close as
we have got to a stable release of 0.11. Due to lack of time, I have not
yet been able to analyse the changes made to trunk since then and
merge them onto 0.11rc2 to produce a new release candidate 0.11rc3, which
I would hope would become 0.11 after a short delay. So the best I can say
is around 2 months from now, but without making any promises.

> Also, is there any plans for an os x client? I wish I could code to help
> out with that one. Unfortunately I am no programmer.

It does already run on OS X as far as I know. Several people use it there
and I spent a lot of time last year fixing the minor issues that causes
problems with the unit tests until they all passed. 0.11rc2 includes all
of that work.

> Any plans for deduplication?

No, sorry. Box Backup is intended for backing up user data, not whole
filesystems, and as such deduplication should not even be necessary as far
as I can see.

> In my network, I am primarily backing up Linux servers, and windows
> workstations. I have a few mac workstations as well.
>
> Due to my clients and the curret status, would I be better off to bypass
> box backup at this time?

We would be very happy if you would try 0.11rc2, which should work on
these platforms, and let us know if you encounter any issues. Please use
the temporary client release at
http://www.boxbackup.org/releases/temporary/ on Windows clients, as it
fixes an important bug.