[Box Backup] boxi for windows

Chris Wilson boxbackup@boxbackup.org
Thu, 30 Jul 2009 00:08:59 +0100 (BST)

Hi Edo,

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009, scartomail wrote:

> If been reading a lot lately on the Boxbakup site. It sounds like a
> perfect way to backup and I would like using it.
>
> Problem is that a lot of work has been done but the boxi windows gui has
> been left behind. It seems outdated, am I right?
>
> Is there still work done on the windows gui? The other code seems to
> develop nicely for windows clients.

It's not completely outdated. I have been doing work on it. However, I
have been very short of time the last few years, and my main priority has
been on fixing bugs and improving Box Backup, on which Boxi depends. It is
possible to compile the latest Boxi from source and it is compatible with
the latest Box Backup servers, but it's not well tested and has some known
bugs. Nobody has stepped forward to help me to develop Boxi, which I think
is a shame.

> I have downlaoded the latest windows client and found a file
> "installer.iss". This is normaly used for automatic installation. I can
> not find a lot of documentation for it on the Boxbackup site. Anyone an
> idea how this should be used with Boxbackup?

I think it was developed for Box Backup 0.09 (not Boxi) and probably
hasn't been used for years. There is also an NSIS installer which is much
more recent and better supported, as it doesn't require proprietary tools
to build. I think if you build the client on Windows, it should create an
NSIS installer file which you can open in NSIS and use to create an
executable installer.