[Box Backup] boxi for windows

Chris Wilson boxbackup@boxbackup.org
Fri, 31 Jul 2009 00:48:51 +0100 (BST)

--8323328-1910206351-1248997697=:18429

Hi Edo,

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009, scartomail wrote:

> Thanks for the response.
> I can't help you develop boxi as my c++ knowlidge is terrible.
> However I could try compiling the latest version and test it.

Thanks, any testing would be very welcome. I know there is a problem with
locations and exclusions containing international characters not being
saved correctly in the configuration files.

There are also automated tests built in to Boxi that you can run with
"boxi -t", although not all of them pass and some are disabled by default
in Subversion, so you'll need to edit main.cc to re-enable them.

> The first years of my IT carreer my job was to test software, later I
> was responsible for backing up large amounts of data on lots of servers.
> In that way I can help you improve the boxi backup client.  Is this the
> latest version then?
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/boxi/boxi-0.1.0.tar.gz

That version is very old, please download the latest source code from
Subversion.

> The documentation also talks about the boxbackup deamon(on the client).
> This ofcourse is the way it is run on linux, on windows it should be a
> service. I can not find anything on that in de documentation. So the
> only way to use it is to schedule it using the scheduler in windows, is
> that correct?

The intention is that Boxi will be used to create, maintain and test
configuration files, run interactive backups, restores and compares, and
manage the daemon or Windows service for unattended automated backups. The
last part is currently not working. Some code was written for it a long
time ago, but it is currently disabled and probably doesn't work. It's my
intention to finish that code once the interactive features are working
properly.

--8323328-1910206351-1248997697=:18429--