[Box Backup] Additional information for Volume Snapshot Service (Shadow Copy)

Chris Wilson boxbackup@boxbackup.org
Wed, 24 Jun 2009 09:14:41 +0300 (EAT)

Hi Achim,

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009, Achim wrote:

> Meanwhile, in a licensing discussion over at the BackupPC list, it turns
> out (according to Leen, one of the original authors) that perhaps the
> "SDK just includes the include and library-files the compiler needs to
> know how to build it" [1].
>
> This would probably eliminate the issue anyway for GPL and BSD, as the
> libraries are then part of the OS and not a separate download.

It doesn't eliminate the issue for GPL, because Microsoft's license
explicitly forbids linking any of their code against GPL code and
distributing the resulting binaries. However, BSD code does not fall under
that restriction.

It's against the spirit of the GPL because it requires users to download
and use non-free software to rebuild their free software, in addition to
the non-free OS which they already have.